Monday, April 30, 2012

The Law of Attraction + Action = Utter Satisfaction

I'm an eclectic or an eccentric or whatever the latest fancy description they're using for creative types these days. I've always been this way. The one thing that can really kill the creative spirit is being a part of a hostile, dream-killing environment--one that suppresses rather than nurtures new ideas. In the past, I  attracted some less than stellar working environments; in part because I couldn't imagine what it would be like to work for a company I adored and also because I wasn't quite sure what I wanted out of a company. So I came up with the following list that I thought might help me to attract my dream company.
Career Must Haves:
  • Must offer cross-departmental training
  • Must love diversity
  • Must be service-oriented
  • Must offer fairly flexible hours
  • Must be innovative
  • Must be a friendly environment for creative types
I decided to put this new method of attraction to the test during my most recent job search and about 2 weeks later I received an email of a job posting that blew my mind! It was an ideal match based on all of my newly affirmed requirements. It was like divine intervention. Here I was receiving what felt like a message from the Almighty saying that its okay to have vision and clarity of mission.

BUT!!! It wasn't receiving the word on this cool and hip new job that helped me to land it! Getting a job with my dream employer required swift, decisive and determined action on my part. I couldn't just want it, I had to go for it! I didn't just do the regular resume upload, cliche cover letter and click send. I literally sold myself and in turn required that the company sell itself to me.

I am now happily employed with a company that makes its people its mission, both in word and deed. It embraces diversity, offers flexibility and is perhaps the most innovative company I've ever even read about. Oh and by the way, not only does it cross-train its employees, it encourages and rewards its employees for engaging in professional development opportunities.

I can't say that it was just the Law of Attraction that brought me to my dream job; rather, it was both the combination of clarifying my vision and deciding to go for the goal that made all the difference.

Resources for Individuals: Idealist.com/blog
Resources for Companies: All In by Adrian Gostick and Chester Elton

2 comments:

  1. This is a great and true message. I've been with the same company for 23 years and the same formula works within an organization. The key is a clear vision, strategy, and consistent action on sound tactics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true James! Clarity of vision and commitment to actually walking in that vision daily sets the mediocre apart rom the great. I think that most companies have their sights set on profits above service. They don't seem to care about the inevitable connection between the two. In other words, if you have a clear, ethical vision and a model that aligns with it, profits will surely come.

      Delete

All comments will be reviewed by the moderator prior to posting.