Friday, May 4, 2012

Unapologetically Me


I often hear from people who seem to view me as some sort of anomaly -- an exception to the rule. While I find it flattering, it often makes me wonder what exactly it is that sets me apart from the crowd.

For starters, I never try intentionally to stray from the beaten path. Seeing others with the ability to assimilate quietly and fly under the radar in a crowd has always been a trait I secretly envied. I mean, it's not always easy to be the girl who sticks out like a sore thumb. I often feel that my action an thus, my life are under close scrutiny. However, I've long since abandoned any hope of living incognito and have committed to being the somewhat mysterious, eclectic, lady of intrigue, unapologetic in my quest to learn and be more.

As with any decision, there are pros and cons. Here are a few:
  • I've got a pretty interesting story to share with my kids and grandkids one day.
  • By daring to dream, I've gotten the opportunity to see many of my dreams realized. I can't imagine living a hopeless, stagnant life.
  • I have an awesome group of friends, family and supporters who cheer me on and are inspired by my vision. Having cheerleaders is a real motivator to keep it movin'!
And then again,
  • It's not always easy to convince the people who care about me that the choices I make in life will all work out in the end.
  • Being different is hard work! Being Miss Understood is a daily occurence.
  • Committing to being a non-conventionalist takes a lot of discipline and constant introspection. Trust me, the picture is not always pretty!
In a nutshell, I feel incredibly grateful to be a part of what I feel is a very special group of people in the universe.

5 comments:

  1. I, too, have secretly envied those with the ability to fly seamlessly under the radar, but have (somewhat) made peace with the fact that I cannot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The opposite of love is not hate; love and hate are two attributes if the same thing: passion - the opposite is apathy. Your message is awesome - #sayitloud, #chearingcroud, #godisgood, #thankyou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) James, thank you for being apart of my support group!

      Delete
  3. I fly under the radar when I need to and above it when I don't. I welcome the balance. There is peace.

    Dottie

    ReplyDelete

All comments will be reviewed by the moderator prior to posting.