Monday, April 23, 2012

"There is no them"

It may sound a little vain but I love to meet people who are as creative, quirky, innovative, and as passionate I am. I'm talkin' folks who push the envelope and aren't afraid to do it. Folks who understand that we've actually got choices and options in life and we don't have to remain in the same ole' rut just because tradition tells us so. Recently I had the pleasure of meeting and working with one such person.

Laura Clemons, founder and CEO of Collaborative Communities Management Company, is by far one of the most interesting people I've ever met. And I know some interesting people. An arts major with a Master's in Education, Laura's mission is to help fuel collaboration within communities to affect change. This weekend I had the chance to co-facilitate a design workshop, aptly named a Charrette, with her to observe first-hand just how powerful of a mission that is.

A group of us including Laura, several content experts and facilitators, met with a group of 25 high school students who attend P.D. Jackson Olin High School who had qualified to participate in the workshop by writing an essay about their vision for their neighborhoods. In light of the recent tornado damage the area received in April 2011, it was no surprise that many of the students' essays included ideas for improving the devastated area. Among some ideas for improvement was to re-build the community in a manner that is inclusive of youth and encourages youth to take stock in their neighborhoods. Content experts spoke on topics like mixed-use buildings, greenspace, trails, connectivity, and universal accessibility. Afterwards the students went on a walking tour of the area and designed a plan of action for their ideas.

It was truly amazing to witness young people learn to take ownership of their neighborhoods and essentially, their lives in the process. One of my favorite takeaways was a quote that Laura shared, "There is no them". In other words, if you bear witness to a problem, issue or situation, or it affects you in anyway, YOU alone are responsible for enacting the change you want to see. The students will present their ideas at a local city hall meeting next month. Kudos to Laura and all of the contributors of the project!

2 comments:

  1. I love the foundation of this blog and this story. I'll be honest, I don't keep up with alot because alot is keeping up with me, but I'll swing through when I can.Keep plowing through my positive sister and know your positive vibes are radiating! Peace-Yogi EC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am quite traditional, and the word charette sounds overwhelming. But our local, national, international paradigms have changed, so I am excited thatyoung folks are looking at ways that can help us all.

    ReplyDelete

All comments will be reviewed by the moderator prior to posting.